Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
|| Agriculture, Forestry, & Fishing, Education, Research & Development, Writing/Authoring
Senior Material Artist (Retro Studios)|
Founded in 1998, Retro Studios is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Company, Ltd. Retro is a state-of-the-art game development studio, working in conjunction with Nintendo to bring award-winning games to Nintendo's cutting-edge next-generation platforms. Retro Studios is located in beautiful Austin, Texas. With rolling hills, scenic waterways, abundant wildlife, vibrant music and film scenes, and a laid-back cosmopolitan culture, Austin is a dynamic city with an excellent quality of life. Austin's sunny weather also supports a great range of outdoor activities, providing plenty of venues for top-notch game developers to recharge and unwind.
Qualifications & Requirements
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
with art leadership and art teams to establish, organize and maintain our
material library across all game content.
- Creates high
quality physically based materials using Substance Designer/Painter to
establish visual targets and support art efforts across all game content.
- Establishes organized material workflows in
Substance Designer/ Painter. Collaborates in implementing and maintaining
- Collaborates with other artists to build and
integrate assets into visually consistent, high quality, and optimized
- Anticipates and identifies production
challenges to leads and Technical Directors.
- Researches new tools and techniques to create
more efficient and visually appealing environments.
- Works with technical artist to develop
advanced shader and material sets
- Creates environment assets and scenes while
considering hardware and design limitations and overall art vision of the
- Creates documentation supporting techniques
and process and encourages the sharing of knowledge and ideas
- Mentors less experienced members of the team
description outlines primary duties and requirements and is not intended to
identify all tasks that may be performed; individuals occupying the position
may be required to perform other duties.
The company may modify job duties from time to time, either in practice
or in writing.
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in AAA game
development or credit on at least one AAA title as material artist.
- Expert skills in Substance Designer/Painter
- Solid understanding of PBR rendering and the
interaction between materials and lighting
- Portfolio demonstrating a wide variety of
tiled and one-to-one materials created using both procedural and 3d sculpted
techniques and showing attention to detail, plausibility and an aesthetic eye
- Prior knowledge and experience crafting 3D
environment assets and scenes demonstrating:
- Solid understanding of color theory and experience creating balanced
color palettes with strong appeal
- Good sense of form, volume, structure, and silhouette
- Strong understanding of composition and balance
- Solid understanding of efficient low poly mesh techniques
- Strong UV layout techniques
- Understanding of Texel density, memory limitations, etc.
- Ability to follow concept/reference and
ability to work with wide range of styles with minimal concept and direction.
- Experience with high poly sculpting and
modeling software such as Z-Brush & Maya
- Experience with 2D image creation software
such as Photoshop, Painter, 3D coat, etc.
- Experience with world editors and level construction
- Excellent communication/collaboration skills.
- Able to manage and organize work in order to
- Fluid and eager problem solver
degree in art related subject or completion of an intensive art training program
or equivalent preferred. Specific experience can be substituted for formal
We are an equal
opportunity employer valuing diversity…celebrating strengths.
Please visit our employer showcase!